Sunday, February 14, 2010

German Bakery Blast

Bombing at German Bakery (link here)came as a shock. I have been there couple of times and it sure is a nice place. In addition, I had passed by just couple of hours earlier, as my daily commute takes me through the Koregaon Park area. I am really sad about the innocents who (as usual) lost their life. Here are some random thoughts about it...not necessarily in order and some might be too sarcastic but this is what I feel right now.


- This bombing delivered the terrorism to my doorstep. It is no longer something that happens in other cities to other people but something that affects me personally.

- Yesterday when I was returning home, I passed by Gold Adlabs multiplex. Because of the "My Name is Khan" drama, it had one busload of SRPF and one more van (I think it was Quick Response Unit) of police. Now it seems a big irony that we are trying to ensure that some movie is run (that too of a person who wants to hire Pakistanis at other business of his, basically to earn more money) than protect the citizens.

- I did not read today's "Saamna" newspaper. But I think that Shiv sena's arguement has suddenly got a big boost. One important lesson, for all of us is that no matter what we call ourselves and no matter how much we fight amongst ourselves, our enemies will still butcher us because we are Indians. In a sense, death unites us as Indians. This lesson is relevant to all those who fight based on factors like language and even for those who are trying to break apart Indian army by calling it army of north Indians.

On a side note, I find it irritating how Saamna is called Shivsena mouthpiece. My suggestion to news media (especially English) is that they should start doing the same for all the newspapers. Saamana is at least honest and follows Shivsena's thoughts. For the rest of the news media, I know that they have sold their souls for money but I don't know to whom!


- I really wonder about the people who went ballistic over the hiring of Pak cricket player issue. They are silent so far. I am very sure that they will remain that way, especially that no foreigners are killed; just us Indians. I am mad at the newspapers who are running ads in newspapers and media on India-pak peace. I want them to spend that money for helping the Police force or the families of people who died.


- It would be a good idea just to pay enough money to "My name is Khan folks". So they don't have to show the movie (why spend money to screen the movie, if one just gets the money). If not anything, it will at least free up poor Police dept to do more useful things like preventing bomb blasts...

- Talking of Police folks, I can see the bad situation that they are in. Now there would be a lot of pressure to catch the people behind the bombing. At the same time, the press would be after them to prove that Police force was negligent/ incompetent and did not do it's job.

- I don't think that our Police have been negligent. For last two months, I have seen enough random "Naaka-Bandi" in and around the same area. At that time, it seemed without reason. Knowing what we know now, it seems that they might have had some vague information and they were responding to it.

- Talking of the bombing, the perpetrators seem to have done their homework right. The target was well selected. (In Koregaon park area, lot of foreigners because of Osho ashram, avoided Gold Adlabs which was strongly protected thanks to "My name is khan", also avoided the business hotels which dot the area but have at least visible security.) The timing well chosen (Valentines day is more tempting for more number of people out but has the risk of bigger police presence.). I don't think that the actual bomb and it's delivery worked that well (and I am thankful for that)


- The location of bomb delivery does not make sense though. Apparently the bomber left a package near the kitchen which exploded when a waiter tried to open it. One of the reason could be that the The choice of bombers wanted the gas cylinders in the kitchen to explode. Some other web sites are reporting that the bomb was left in the backpack in the eating area. That seems much more logical. Targeting kitchen staff does not make sense but targeting the customers does.

- The death count and the visible damage do not match up. The damage to the property is a lot. However with the death count of 9 people, it seems that the bomb had less amount of shrapnel (and just a lot of bang). Alternately, a low grade explosive (Ammonium nitrate or gelatin sticks) would have been used. That might explain the big bang but comparatively low body count.

- Considering planning and execution, this bombing was planned well but the execution does not show the sophistication. It does not seem to be a Kashmiri terrorists bombing. they tend to use a lot of suicide attacks and prolonged engagement to bombings. (it is as if it is a show for the media) Seems more of a act of Pak funded south Indian groups. It is similar to their way of working. In addition, it would be their "Badla" for the IM module that they lost here.

- A remote chance would be that some Hindu militant group be responsible. (remember the accidental explosions in Goa and Malegaon blasts?) If the explosion is attributed to gelatin sticks, it would seem a lot more possible.


Anyway, all this is speculation and I really hope that Police are able to solve this and catch the people behind this act. My heart goes out to all those who lost their loved ones.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home